Saturday, September 26, 2009

Cross Country Travels

3.5 Days/34 Hours -- or by Google Maps account 1 Day 10 Hours
2 Nights at Truck Stops: 1 Night in the mountains of West Virginia
10 States: 11 Gas Stations: 400 oz Dr. Pepper

Surprisingly, three and a half days in a car isn’t as bad as you might think. Driving through the Midwest and small-town America was spectacular and the closest thing I’ve come to a dream trip of spending 2-3 months taking back roads of American to see the variety of events, attractions, and places that America offers. Perhaps one day I’ll be able to take that trip. I originally wanted to take longer than I did but realized I had a deadline and wanted to get everything moved before I started work, so instead of meandering throughout Kansas and Nebraska some more I decided to stop as little as possible. Although, I did wander of the Interstate Highway system and took a number of old state roads that took me through dozens of small towns and load of countryside. It was beautiful, I thought I would get bored through the long stretch of flatlands, but somehow I just found it incredible and a number of towns I liked enough to think, “I could enjoy living here.” I even discovered that Mankato, KS is offering free land to people who are willing to build a home. So move to Mankato?

2 comments:

heidikins said...

400 oz. of Dr. P...classic.

xox

M. Foster said...

sounds like a great trip! driving cross-country is the best. i've never done it by myself though, that is brave.