Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lingua Franca

Lingua Franca is a language used by two people to communicate with each other, typically by use of a second or third language that is not the native language of either.  In the past French filled this role.  In todays world it is English.  Despite English being the current Lingua Franca I still feel like a 'lazy American' who can only speak English whenever I am traveling abroad.  In the last few years my passable Arabic has enabled me to travel and at least somewhat communicate with the locals in their native tounge.  Now, I'm once again traveling in a country where English is not people's second language, but their third or fourth or fifth so fewer people speak it.  Here French is the dominate language and try as I might, I can't seem to remember anything from my 8th grade French class--so much for public education.  Luckily, enough people speak Arabic that I can get by with that, but the dialect here is just different enough, that it's difficult to follow.  So alas, once again I'm traveling and find myself desperately wishing I could speak the dominate local language if only so I'm not pegged as not belonging and also because I want to know what people are saying...plus, I don't like fitting into the European stereotype of Americans being ignorant of other people's language and culture.  Alas, I don't think I can help it this time when the only French I know is 'bonjor' and 'oui' and 'merci'.  Guess I don't hate the stereotype enough to change it.  All those people out there who are fluent in two or more languages (emphasis on the more), I want to be you.

No comments: