Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Meggido & Armageddon

I just visited the ancient site of Meggido which was historically a dominating force in the region because of its oversight of major trade routes. Today it is a ruinous site that overlooks a fertile agricultural valley. I took the time to sit back under a palm tree and look over the valley and contemplate the religious significance of that site. Traditionally Megiddo and the surrounding valleys are the site of the final battle of Armageddon. As I looked over the valley it occurred to me that most likely there will not be a final military battle in that valley with tens of thousands of troops from multiple armies which will determine the course of history. I realized a few things, battles fought today are not like battles fought historically. Today we use precision bombing and artillery as the primary means with soldiers as the final force. I don't know exactly what the scriptures say concerning Armageddon and Megiddo, I want to go study it now, but I believe that the final battle will probably be more ideological rather than physical. Megiddo was historically important because it was beside the major trade routes from Egypt into Central Asia and Eastern Europe. It was important because it controlled economies and trade. The prophecies very well could be a representation of the idea of what Meggido stood for rather than where it stood. Just a thought.

1 comment:

McKenzie said...

Very insightful Nate! It sounds like you're becoming more and more intellectual as the world molds you! I hope you're enjoying the other side of the world!