Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Thoughts of Jerusalem

I really enjoy Jerusalem. My favorite part has been sitting on the roof of the hotel at nights and being able to see the northern wall of Old Jerusalem and to see the Dome of the Rock glimmering in the background. It is such a beautiful skyline to look at and I find myself perfectly content to sit up here for hours on end. Usually I am exhausted because of everything we do all day, because of all the tours and all the walking, but despite this I still stay up later than I should just to enjoy the nights. I know I will only have a few of these and I want to really take in the city and enjoy the beauty while it is here and while I am here.
Right now I am sitting on the roof listening to the call to prayer ring out across the old city. It is so beautiful. I love sitting here and just taking it all in. I am going to miss hearing the call to prayer in general and I will certainly miss this place in particular. Down below me I can see a line of men who were playing soccer but are now lined up to pray. It is a humbling site to see a group of people stop an activity to pay their religious respect to God. Jerusalem is an amazing place and I have a better understanding of its history and its geopolitical/religious politics now than I did previously and it has changed some of my views and some of my rantings about it.

No comments: